WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
JOB PURPOSE : United Nations Agencies in Cameroon have an Office in Buea/Bamenda and have decided to carry out their operations while sharing a common building. For this purpose, they have signed an MoU setting the conditions for sharing space and rental charges. In order to coordinate and manage the operational and administrative aspects related to the implementation of programs and activities, and the functioning of the common premises, the Agencies have agreed to recruit an Assistant Administrative Officer & Compound Manager (AAOCM).
Under the Administrative supervision of Head of Field Office Buea/Bamenda and the Technical supervision of the WFP Head of Finance and Administrative Officer-AFO, the Assistant Administrative Officer & Compound Manager (AAOCM) will be responsible for the administrative management of United Nations operations in Buea/Bamenda. He / she must work in line with the MoU governing the agreement between participating Agencies; prepare long-term contracts for equipment maintenance, maintenance and cleaning of premises, building maintenance, security guard and relevant recommendations to improve services. He / she will be in constant contact with all Agencies residing in the building to meet their administrative assistance needs for their field operations and will liaise with the lessor whenever needed. He / she is responsible for ensuring that the operations of the common building complies with the minimum security requirements prescribed by UNDSS and the Agency security team. He / she facilitates the work of the management committee of the common building.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive, within delegated authority):
Under direct supervision of Head of Field Office, the Compound Manager will among other tasks perform the following activities:
1. Staff supervision below:
- Responsible for registry : ensure receipt, registration and distribution of incoming mail;
- Switchboard operators: ensure satisfactory performance and manage their presence;
- Cleaners of the common building: ensure a satisfactory performance of their work and manage their presence;
- Common building security officers : ensure satisfactory performance of their work and manage their presence.
- IT Assistant: ensure satisfactory performance of their work and manage their presence.
- Radio Operators: ensure satisfactory performance of their work and manage their presence.
- External services :
- Utilities: Arrange to coordinate the work of service providers in plumbing, electricity, etc. Ensure that the above services are of satisfactory quality and certify the accuracy of the related invoices ;
- Maintenance : provide daily maintenance of the air conditioning, electricity, water and any repairs in consultation with the lessor;
- Equipment: Ensure the functioning of equipment in common areas, such as: conference room equipment, CCTVs, fire extinguishers, automatic doors, etc. Coordinate and ensure small one-time repairs, those of a more important nature to be done in consultation with Procurement and the WFP OM;
- Ensure the provision and continuity of services outside office hours and on holidays through appropriate maintenance contracts;
- Assess service providers with long-term agreement or on contracts on a quarterly basis and present the results to Procurement and the WFP AFO.
- Furnitures and Inventory
- Keep and update the assets records
- Keep and update the files relating to the equipment
- Coordination and Operations
- The AACM is responsible to collect operational data from service providers and transmit it to WFP’s AFO with the aim to cost-effectiveness and optimization of UN operations in the field;
- Ensuring the sharing of assets;
- Will be responsible for disseminating the activities of the Agencies in the region;
- Plan and organize consultation meetings with Agency officials;
- Monitor the presence of UN personnel.
- The AAOCM is responsible for ensuring that the minimum-security requirements prescribed by UNDSS and the agency security team are applied in the building under its coordination;
- Manage and keep reservation requests for common meeting rooms. The AAOCM shall attach to the aforementioned monthly report the reservation requests for the Common Conference Room of all UN Agencies residing in the Common Building;
- The AAOCM is required to prepare a questionnaire that summarizes comments and suggestions to improve the general operation of the building and to share it regularly with the on-site Agencies, collect and consolidate any suggestions and present them to the Management Committee.
- Financial reports and planning
The AAOCM must :
- Submit a monthly report to the Ho on the administrative activities of the month. The report should cover the activities undertaken during the past month and the activities planned for the following month as well as a financial implementation status of the budget. The report should be distributed to all members of the Management Committee, if any, by e-mail prior to their monthly meeting.
- Keep accurate and up-to-date common building expenses on a monthly basis and report back to the Management Committee on the 10th or 10th of each month.
- Annual budget: prepare and plan the annual budget for each year on the basis of the previous year’s financial implementation report and have it reviewed by the Management Committee prior to the approval of the heads of Agencies.
- Manage USD 500 for day-to-day expenses and prepare a detailed and accurate report of expenses together with supporting documents and submit them for approval to the WFP Operations Manager before any further bailouts. The petty cash report should be submitted as soon as 75% of the cash amount is spent to give WFP time to verify and process the files.
- Acquisitions for common spaces
- Based on a procurement plan for goods and services established by the Management Committee and validated by the Heads of Agencies through the annual budget, the AAOCM coordinates the operationalization of the approved programs, in consultation with the various units of the project. WFP.
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Promoting Organizational Learning And Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Understand the main processes and work methods related to the position
- Have a basic understanding of the procedures and organizational policies related to the position and apply them consistently to the job.
- Strive to keep up-to-date with self-learning and other means of learning.
- Demonstrate a good knowledge of information technologies and apply them in the performance of their tasks.
- Ability to perform a range of specialized tasks related to common building management, contracting, inventory and procurement management, including organization and conduct of procurement processes, implementation of contracting and offshoring strategies, reporting, inventory control;
- Good knowledge of financial rules and regulations;
- Ability to provide business process data and implement new systems
Promoting Organizational Change a nd Development
Level 1.1: Presentation of information on best practices in organizational change
- Demonstrates ability to identify problems and proposes solutions
Design and Implementation of new management Systems
Niveau 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of management systems
- Use information / Databases / Other Management systems.
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
Level 1.1: Gathering and disseminating information
- Gathers and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management system
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Educational Requirements & Essential Experience:
- Completion of secondary school; Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in Administration, Finance, Accounting, Management, Economics or others in the relevant field.
- A minimum of two (02) years of relevant professional experience in the areas of management, administration, accounting, finance, management, economics is required nationally or internationally for applicants with university degree.
- One (1) year of relevant professional experience in the areas of management, administration, accounting, finance is required nationally or internationally for applicants with advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent).
- NB/ Experience in a development agency, a private organization or an international organization in the management of a building would be an advantage. Work experience in emergency duty station is an asset.
- Experience in the use of computer tools and MS Office (Word, Excel, etc.), experience in computerized management system.
- Perfect knowledge of English, spoken and written.
- Knowledge of functional French would be an important asset.
Female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 27/04/2020
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.